top of page
5B - Mitchell Landscapes - Kato res.png


The California Landscape Contractors Association offers the following guidance on hiring a licensed contractor

In California, anyone who installs landscape systems, such as gardens or irrigation systems, or performs any other Construction work, must have a valid contractor’s license if the work is valued at $500 or more in combined labor and materials. Tree service work also requires a contractor’s license if the trees are 15 feet in height or more.

Using a licensed contractor can help you avoid financial risk and other big problems! The California Landscape Contractors Association requires its Regular Members to be licensed, so all of the businesses in the Contractor Search should have a valid license. Even so, property owners should always verify license status from the Contractors State License Board prior to hiring any contractor.

A C-27 Landscaping Contractor can sign contracts for most of the services listed below. In several cases, other license classifications are also permitted to sign contracts for services listed here. For example, both a C-27 Landscaping Contractor and a C-61/D-49 Tree Service Contractor may perform tree service work. In a few cases, a contractor other than a C-27 Landscaping Contractor may be required to sign the contract. Those services are listed here because some CLCA members have licenses in multiple classifications that give them the ability to sign contracts for such work.

bottom of page